Monday, October 4, 2010

So you're making a SHORT film?


Short. A word often used to describe my somewhat less-than-tall stature. To be honest, and a bit dramatic, I hated this word for the last twenty-faux years. Ugh, short. I’ve probably caused myself some kind of permanent neck strain from my constant craning… just for that additional 2 centimeters. Short. I hated that word.

With such animosity towards that word, why would I want to make a (dare I say it?) short film? Maybe it’s a form of therapeutic retribution? Or maybe it’s because features are just too damn expensive?

Seriously, though, a common question often asked to filmmakers… why are you making a short film? Although this question can elicit different possible answers, mine is simple: To get my work noticed. Non-feature films (*cough* short) are often used as calling cards for filmmakers that can potentially lead to agents, managers, or possible creative deals. Steven Spielberg made Amblin. Darren Aronofsky made Protozoa. And the list can go on and on.

With that in mind, I’m able to take this opportunity to treat these short films as professionally as possible. It’s essentially a microcosm of a full-fledged film -- a learning experience that allows me to stretch my creative muscles and treat every step with same amount of diligence and care as I would a feature film. With this level of professionalism, the entire creative team can collaborate on a project and be proud of what we worked so closely on.

Short. Sure, a certain amount of disdain is associated with the word, but it’s shaped me to who I am today and I think I’m a better person because of it. Short. If you repeat it enough, maybe it’s not that bad. Maybe, for the last twenty-faux years it’s been entirely in my overly analytical head. Or maybe, like a short film, it’s not a hindrance, but something to be proud of.

Yeah, I think I’ll go with the latter.


No comments:

Post a Comment